South Korea has announced a six-day reduction in its annual joint military exercise with the United States following a request from Washington.
The 2026 Ulchi Freedom Shield manoeuvres, which were originally scheduled to run until August 27, will now end on August 21.
Seoul’s Defence Ministry said both the duration and size of the exercise had been modified following a proposal from the US.
The field-based training portion of the operation will also be scaled back, although officials have yet to agree on the exact extent of the reduction.
The development follows US President Donald Trump’s decision to push for fewer military exercises with South Korea.
President Trump has described his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as a good one, raising concerns in Seoul about Washington’s long-term security commitment.
South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun told lawmakers that officials in both countries were not informed beforehand about President Trump’s intention to reduce the drills.
The move could further unsettle South Korea, where the alliance with Washington is regarded as a key pillar of national defence.
It may also attract attention from other American partners in Asia, particularly Japan and Taiwan.
The announcement coincides with reports that President Trump has encouraged his advisers to seek another meeting with Kim Jong Un.
President Trump criticised the military exercises on his Truth Social platform, arguing that they were expensive for the US and could be interpreted as an unfriendly gesture.
He also pointed to South Korea’s refusal to participate in US efforts concerning Iran.
Speaking at the White House, President Trump questioned why Seoul would not assist Washington with what he described as a straightforward military operation in Iran, while the US maintains roughly 39,000 troops in South Korea to help deter North Korea.
The latest drills were unveiled last week by American and South Korean military commanders, who initially indicated that the exercise would remain broadly comparable to previous years.
Around 18,000 South Korean troops were expected to take part, while approximately 28,500 US service members are based in the country.
Military officials also highlighted North Korea’s involvement in Russia’s war against Ukraine, including the deployment of North Korean personnel.
US military spokesman Ryan Donald said American training takes the potential threat posed by returning North Korean troops into account.
Pyongyang has strongly opposed the exercises, with its Foreign Ministry describing the joint operation as preparation for an offensive conflict.
By: Magdalene Agyeiwaa Sarpong

