Canada Races To Secure US Trade Deal Before New Tariffs Take Effect

Canada and the United States are locked in last-minute negotiations as Ottawa attempts to prevent another wave of American duties from taking effect on Wednesday.

‎Canadian officials have spent the past week in Washington seeking an agreement that could avert proposed 50% levies covering approximately $20 billion (C$28 billion) worth of Canadian goods.

‎Prime Minister Mark Carney declined to reveal details of the discussions on Monday, describing the negotiations as highly sensitive.

‎He said it would be inappropriate to conduct the bargaining publicly while the two countries remain engaged in difficult discussions.

‎Carney also held a telephone conversation with US President Donald Trump on Monday regarding the negotiations, according to the Canadian leader’s office.

‎The Canadian prime minister insisted that Ottawa was entering the talks from a position of strength, but the potential consequences remain significant.

‎The proposed measures would affect about 5% of Canada’s imports from its southern neighbour.

‎Canadian representatives have held several meetings with US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer, but no final settlement has yet emerged.

‎”We still have work ahead of us,” Canada’s Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc said after leaving Greer’s office.

‎President Trump has previously described Canada’s approach to trade as “nasty” and has threatened a tougher American response if Ottawa and Washington fail to resolve their differences.

‎Any compromise reached by Carney could also prove politically difficult at home.

‎The prime minister would have to convince Canadians that the agreement protects national interests while securing support from provincial governments.

‎Washington is seeking several changes from Ottawa.

‎Among them are the removal of Canada’s remaining countermeasures against American vehicles and alterations to restrictions governing dairy imports.

‎The United States is also pressing for provincial governments to end restrictions on American alcoholic beverages.

‎Those measures were introduced by several provinces following earlier US tariff decisions.

‎Ontario Premier Doug Ford has indicated that alcohol restrictions could only be lifted if Canada receives meaningful protection for important domestic industries.

‎Ford said Canadian steel, vehicle manufacturing, forestry, farming and other industrial sectors would need to benefit from any settlement before American alcoholic products return to provincial shelves.

‎Dairy policy presents another potential obstacle.

‎Quebec’s premier, Christine Fréchette, has maintained that the province’s supply-management system cannot be compromised.

‎The arrangement controls domestic production through quotas, establishes pricing mechanisms and limits overseas access to Canada’s dairy, poultry and egg markets.

‎President Trump has criticised the framework, arguing that it unfairly limits opportunities for American producers.

‎The latest US tariff package was announced by the White House on 20 July.

‎Washington said the measures would begin 30 days later, putting the deadline on Wednesday, 19 August.

‎Public sentiment in Canada could make negotiations even more challenging.

‎An Abacus Data survey found that 74% of respondents believe the dispute has affected their households, while 36% support imposing additional Canadian duties on US products despite the possibility of further economic damage.

‎Only 18% backed making concessions such as lifting provincial restrictions on American alcohol in exchange for lower American tariffs.

‎Canadian media reports have also indicated that Ottawa’s lead negotiator, Janice Charette, cautioned US officials that implementing the new measures could jeopardise future discussions between the two countries.

‎Carney has repeatedly stated that he will not accept an agreement unless it delivers a satisfactory outcome for Canada.

‎However, he has yet to specify the precise conditions he considers essential.

‎With negotiations entering their final 48 hours, the prime minister said further discussions would determine what happens next.

‎He also indicated that his administration had contingency plans should the negotiations collapse.

‎Conservative trade critic Shuvaloy Majumdar called for an end to the uncertainty affecting Canadians, saying the country deserved relief from mounting economic concerns.

‎He argued that Canadians had become frustrated with being targeted during the dispute, while expressing hope that Carney could secure a meaningful victory at the negotiating table.

 

By: Magdalene Agyeiwaa Sarpong

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *