Flowers are laid outside a department store at Henry Street, in Dublin. People stand near flowers laid outside a department store on Henry Street where a Congolese-born man, Yves Sakila, was restrained by security guards last week and later pronounced dead in hospital, in Dublin, Ireland, May 20, 2026. Image @ REUTERS/Conor Humphries
A man who moved to Ireland from the Democratic Republic of Congo as a young child has become the centre of a national reckoning over race, dignity and the use of force, after video footage showing him pinned to the ground by five security guards outside one of Dublin’s most prominent department stores circulated widely on social media and ignited public fury.
Yves Sakila, believed to have been in his 30s, was restrained by security personnel outside Arnotts on one of the capital’s busiest shopping streets last Friday in connection with an alleged shoplifting incident. He became unresponsive at the scene and was later pronounced dead. The footage, which emerged days after the incident, showed Sakila held face-down on the ground for almost five minutes while bystanders watched. Two men pressed his face to the ground, and at one point one of them appeared to kneel on his head or neck for several seconds.
The images drew immediate comparisons to the killing of George Floyd, the Black American man who died in Minneapolis in May 2020 after a police officer knelt on his neck for several minutes during an arrest. Floyd’s death convulsed the United States, gave renewed momentum to the Black Lives Matter movement and sparked protests against police brutality and racism across the world. For many in Ireland, the similarities were too stark to ignore.
By Thursday, hundreds had gathered outside the Dáil, Ireland’s parliament, to demand accountability. Protesters chanted “no cover up, no delay” and “justice for Yves, dignity for all” as demonstrators held placards bearing the word “Justice” and others reading “cead mile failte is for everyone” — invoking the Irish phrase for welcome in a pointed rebuke to how Sakila had been treated. One hand-written sign captured the mood plainly: “Yves, your life mattered, black lives matter.”
Inside parliament, lawmakers described the footage as “distressing” and “disturbing.” Prime Minister Micheal Martin called for a thorough investigation, saying the manner in which Sakila died had caused huge concern across Irish society.
The grief extended into the country’s small Congolese community, which has been left shaken by the incident. Laure Zoya, vice president of the Congolese Community in Ireland group, said Sakila had come to Ireland as a very young child and had grown up in the country. She said the community no longer felt safe.
Police confirmed on Thursday that they had recovered footage from both CCTV cameras and social media, and were appealing for anyone who had been in the vicinity of Arnotts during the rush-hour incident last Friday to come forward. A post-mortem examination has been completed, but authorities said the results would not be released for operational reasons.
The incident has unsettled a country that has long prided itself on its tradition of welcome — and raised uncomfortable questions about race, the limits of private security powers and the treatment of Black people in public spaces. For Sakila’s community, and for many watching from across Ireland, those questions can no longer wait for an answer.
By: Andrews Kwesi Yeboah

