Liberia Charges Former Vice-President Over Alleged Cocaine Network

Liberian authorities have brought a series of criminal allegations against former Vice-President Jewel Howard-Taylor in connection with an investigation into an alleged international cocaine trafficking operation.

‎The 63-year-old was taken into custody on Wednesday at Roberts International Airport in Monrovia, where she was stopped before boarding a flight, according to the Ministry of Justice.

‎National Police Chief Gregory Coleman has associated the former government official with a major cocaine seizure made last month.

‎The drugs, estimated to be worth about $317 million (£233 million), were among evidence uncovered during an expanding investigation.

‎Howard-Taylor has not publicly responded to the accusations.

‎Her attorney told the BBC that he was unable to discuss the matter until proceedings were formally brought before a court.

‎She entered public life following the departure from office of her former husband, Charles Taylor, who served as Liberia’s president from 1997 to 2003 after previously leading a rebel movement.

‎Charles Taylor was subsequently tried and convicted by a UN-backed tribunal for supporting rebel forces in Sierra Leone during that country’s 1991-2002 conflict.

‎The war claimed an estimated 50,000 lives.

‎Years later, former football star and Liberian President George Weah selected Jewel Howard-Taylor as his vice-presidential candidate.

‎She became deputy head of state when Weah assumed office in 2018 and remained in the position until 2024.

‎The former vice-president is accused of offences including bringing controlled substances into Liberia without authorisation, distributing and moving prohibited drugs, unlawful narcotics dealings, criminal solicitation and facilitating criminal activity.

‎Three foreign suspects, two Croatian nationals and a Ukrainian citizen, have also been charged in absentia.

‎Investigators allege that the three were connected to the same criminal enterprise.

‎Justice Minister Oswald Tweh said Liberia would work through national and international channels to track down the suspects and secure their arrest.

‎The investigation follows a series of major narcotics discoveries as Liberian authorities intensify efforts against cocaine smuggling.

‎Two significant seizures were recorded in June and July.

‎During the July operation, investigators recovered nearly four tonnes of cocaine reportedly destined for Europe.

‎Officials described the operation as the largest drug seizure in Liberia’s history and said it exposed an extensive international trafficking structure.

‎Authorities have since widened their inquiries to include senior members of the country’s security institutions.

‎The government says the investigation is not limited to individuals who physically moved the narcotics.

‎It is also examining alleged financiers, planners and persons suspected of providing protection or other assistance to the network.

‎The authorities have pledged that political influence, official positions or foreign nationality will not shield suspects from prosecution.

‎Liberia’s crackdown comes as West Africa continues to serve as an important corridor for cocaine shipments travelling from South America towards European markets.

‎Criminal groups have taken advantage of difficult-to-monitor borders and enforcement weaknesses across parts of the region.

 

By: Magdalene Agyeiwaa Sarpong

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *