British Prime Minister Andy Burnham has reaffirmed London’s unwavering commitment to Ukraine after Russia threatened unspecified repercussions over the use of British-produced unmanned aircraft in recent Ukrainian operations on Russian soil.
Burnham said Britain would remain alongside Kyiv regardless of the difficulties surrounding the conflict.
He described the UK as a dependable ally and stressed that military assistance would continue to help Ukraine protect itself from Russian aggression.
The Russian embassy in London accused the British government of deliberately increasing its involvement in the war.
It warned that greater British participation would bring a heavier cost, saying Moscow would respond to what it described as escalating British interference.
The warning follows an intensification of Ukrainian attacks against targets far beyond the country’s internationally recognised borders.
Oil-processing facilities, transport infrastructure and a distribution centre belonging to online shopping company Wildberries have been among the sites affected.
Burnham rejected Moscow’s criticism, maintaining that Britain’s objective was to equip Ukraine for defensive purposes.
He noted that successive UK governments had followed the same policy since Russia launched its full-scale invasion in February 2022.
Britain has previously supplied Kyiv with advanced weaponry, including Storm Shadow cruise missiles and drone systems.
Moscow has repeatedly objected to the assistance, arguing that British involvement makes the country increasingly connected to attacks inside Russia.
The latest strikes have also placed pressure on Russia’s energy sector and domestic fuel availability, while creating further economic difficulties for Moscow.
The UK Ministry of Defence said Britain remained determined to provide Ukraine with the military equipment required to resist Russian President Vladimir Putin’s invasion.
Russian forces still occupy roughly 20% of Ukrainian territory, although Moscow has made limited battlefield gains in recent months.
At the same time, attacks away from the front line have continued to produce significant civilian casualties.
United Nations figures indicate that 437 civilians were killed in Ukraine last month, representing the highest monthly death toll since May 2022.
Fresh Russian bombardments on Tuesday reportedly killed 17 Ukrainians.
Ten people died in Pechenihy, a settlement in the north-east, after missiles struck residential properties, a café and a postal facility.
Further fatalities were recorded in Sumy, Zaporizhzhia and Kherson.
Moscow has also experienced increasingly heavy Ukrainian aerial attacks.
Five people were killed in Russia’s Rostov region during weekend strikes, while hundreds of unmanned aircraft were reportedly directed towards the capital region.
Governor Andrey Vorobyov said a 10-year-old girl sustained injuries and a Wildberries storage facility was damaged during the latest attacks.
Ukraine is increasingly relying on domestically developed weapons alongside foreign-supplied systems.
Its recent arsenal has included the FP-5 Flamingo cruise missile, highlighting Kyiv’s growing ability to conduct long-range operations without relying solely on Western equipment.
Two British firms are understood to have manufactured unmanned systems later delivered to Ukraine.
A British military source confirmed that UK-built drones had participated in recent strikes against Russian targets, which Ukrainian sources say have inflicted economic losses exceeding £35 billion.
In April, Britain announced a major military assistance programme involving tens of thousands of drones, including systems capable of striking targets at considerable distances.
During a meeting with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky at a British naval facility last month, Burnham pledged that Kyiv could rely on British assistance for the duration of the conflict.
He also offered access to the UK’s newly developed Stone Cloak system, designed to disrupt Russian air-defence networks through electronic warfare.
Russia has previously alleged that British components have been incorporated into Ukrainian unmanned systems.
In 2024, Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova claimed such technology had been involved in attacks on Russian territory, including an assault on a fuel facility in Rostov region.
The scale of the latest drone campaign has been substantial.
Russian authorities said approximately 620 unmanned aircraft were directed towards areas around Moscow overnight, with air-defence units destroying more than 180.
Several residents were reportedly injured.
On Saturday, Russian officials said Ukraine had launched about 822 drones, including approximately 600 towards the Moscow area.
The regional governor described the incident as one of the most extensive aerial assaults experienced by the capital in recent memory.
Seven deaths were reported elsewhere in Russia.
Western governments are increasingly concerned that Moscow could retaliate through covert or unconventional methods rather than direct military action against NATO members.
Across Europe, authorities have reported a series of unexplained incidents involving unmanned aircraft operating near strategic military and industrial locations, although direct Russian responsibility has seldom been established.
German officials last week described the possibility of hostile hybrid operations as an immediate and serious concern after an explosives-carrying drone was neutralised near a Ukrainian cargo aircraft at Leipzig/Halle Airport, an important military logistics centre for Germany and NATO partners.
Berlin is now preparing legislation that would grant greater authority to its intelligence services, the BND and BfV, to detect, disrupt and investigate hostile drone activity and cyber operations.
Despite Moscow’s latest warning, Burnham’s government maintains that Britain’s military relationship with Ukraine will continue.
By: Magdalene Agyeiwaa Sarpong

